Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rules for turning 30

When I was a kid, the age of 30 seemed light years away.  When I turned 21, 30 was still considered "old." 
When I turned 25, 30 was the age that I figured would be a good time to get re-married. Thirty was still a ways off, though.  When I turned 29 last year, 30 suddenly didn’t seem so old.  Within the next week, I’ll be 30, and, unlike what I’ve stated before, I guess I’m ready to embrace my age.

Compared to other ages, 30 doesn’t really have any milestones attached to it, to my knowledge. When many Arizonan girls turn 15, for example, they get a quinceañera — some are more lavish than even the nicest weddings I’ve attended — and I’ve actually heard of a few local boys requesting quinceañeros, too. When American teens turn 16, they are able to obtain a driver’s license. At age 18, Americans are able to vote, and at age 21, we’re allowed to (legally) drink alcohol.

Even turning 25 has its perks: One’s auto insurance rates usually decline, and renting a car becomes possible, too. When one turns 40, they’re considered "over the hill," meaning their life is more or less half over. At age 65, Americans are officially senior citizens, are eligible for Medicare and can (hopefully) think about retiring. But turning 30 feels a lot like finding out about a sale a day too late, to paraphrase Chris Rock.

Am I still "young," or am I now considered "old?" Are there certain clothes, such as my T-shirt that says "I (heart) sports, boys, diamonds and chocolates," that I have to stop wearing? Do I have to stop reading my Harry Potter and Twilight books and devote my free time to more "mature" pursuits? Am I too old to watch cartoons? Am I too young to look forward to a nap?

Because I have so many questions, and surely many readers my age do, too, I have decided to create my own list of rules for life at age 30. Upon leaving your twenties:
- Using text message short hand ("lol," "omg," etc.) is strictly forbidden

- Wearing jeans that show your thong are strictly forbidden – not matter how hot you are.

- Men absolutely, positively MUST open doors for women

- Eating cereal and gummy bears for dinner no longer counts as a real meal

- Balance your checkbook more often than once every presidential election

- Use slang words is not cool (especially when talking to your kids – they’ll think you’re a moron since you never use them right)

- Know the difference between "your" and "you’re," "too" and "to" and "its" and "it’s"

- Flashing the "peace" sign or giving the finger in photos is also forbidden (as well as the rabbit ears over someone)

- Stop wearing T-shirts that say things like "I (heart) sports, boys, diamonds and chocolates" on them

(These rules have been modified from another Blog: http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articles/rules-107528-turning-.html)

What rules do you think should be enforced once you’re over the age of 30?

No comments:

Post a Comment