Thursday, December 10, 2009

Decade from Hell?

Did you see this article in Time Magazine? They say that the 2000’s were the decade from hell. We endured not one, but two economic meltdowns, survived Y2K, experienced the tragedy of 9/11, we have been locked in war for 9 years with millions of families spending most of the decade apart or losing loved ones due to them, we’ve had several natural disasters due to weather and earthquakes (tsunamis), and more people are laid off today than at any other point in history. When you look at it this way, it seems pretty grim out there. Is this the darkest hour we’ll face before the sun comes up again?




Personally, in addition to those things above, I faced the deterioration of my first marriage and a divorce, but other than that, I can say the last decade was pretty good to me. It started out with having my first daughter and then my second three years later. If you call what I have a career, then I have advanced exponentially from where I started. I bought my first house and car on my own. I met and married the love of my life and added three more children to my life. Although I moved away from my hometown and family, I think the life I’ve created for myself and my daughters was the best decision I ever made. Although I got a divorce, I got out of a really bad marriage and found a really strong woman resided in me.

To paraphrase the question Ronald Reagan posed years ago, Are you better off today than you were at the beginning of the decade? For me that answer would be yes. What about you, are you better off now than at the beginning of the decade?

No comments:

Post a Comment