Sunday, March 18, 2012

Valentines Day

We didn't do anything too extravagant for Valentines Day this year. We only really had a time for a few projects, some gifts for the kids and an early Valentines Day dinner for Mr S (he wasn't with us for Valentines Day).

Valentines Project #1: Hanging Hearts

I'm not really sure where I got the inspiration for this one, must have been a REALLY boring day with Mr S gone.
Step 1 - cut out cardboard hearts.

(Yes, I recycled Pizza Hut boxes for my project, gotta love a good recycling project)

Step 2 - cut out a MILLION shapes from tissue paper (also recycled). I tried a few different style, leaf shape and diamonds - the diamond shapes seemed to work the best.

Step 3 - Glue, glue, glue. I used rubber cement and just glued clumps of the tissue to the cardboard until it was all covered.

Step 4 - Once dry - try a cute ribbon around them - or through them and hang.


For the 6 hearts, drying time and all, I think I spent about 4 hours on this.

Valentines Project #2: Whoopie Pies

I was SUPPOSED to go to Twin Snowflake 1's Valentine Party at school, but his dumb-ass mom took that (and another party) and made a huge fit with the boys (told them I wasn't ALLOWED to do that) AND the school about (how DARE I sign up to help out his class!!!) Ugh... Anyway, TS2 felt bad, I think, and asked me to attend his party. It was too late (since he asked me the weekend before the party), but I offered to send something for his class. So, we made whoopie.

This is basically cake mix and pudding and you bake it until they come out moist.

(it's actually not a bad recipe for really moist, plump cookies)

Then you fill them with a Marshmallow Creme, cream cheese and whipped cream filling. We also added rolling them in Valentines sprinkles.

Once they had all set, we packaged them in cute Valentines packaging and I got to send them off to his class (via his mom's house - I HOPE she was jealous - at least they made it to school and she didn't throw them away)
Yum!

For gifts, we don't give a lot of candy to the kids - not because we're worried about their health, just because they're not interest and do eat it! (I know, I have weird kids). So, I usually try to get them an outfit (this time it was long-sleeve shirts and sports pants) and then a couple of small toys and school stuff (pencils, etc)


As I mentioned before, Mr S wasn't with us for Valentines Day, so we made him a special dinner the night before (and then just did Chinese for our dinner the next night - the girls' favorite).

Girls battering the shrimp...

(the Valentines Day card TS2 made me...it says 'I love you Snowflake!' - so sweet)

Yummy salad fixins'


Baked Shrimp and Spinach Fettuccine. - it was really yummy!

How did you celebrate Valentines Day this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment