Monday, July 5, 2010

Why living in a small town still amazes me

My mom grew up in a very small town in California.  The three of us kids and even my dad would make fun of her for this - we were city people and sometimes her "view" of the world just didn't jive with the way things really were in a large metropolitan area in Arizona. I was born in a small town in Southern Arizona and each year for the Fourth of July we'd visit my grandma there, go to the soap box derby races down the mountain, eat ice cream, watch the parade that went down main street and then watched the fireworks on her patio.  That was my "small town" experience growning up. 

Since I've moved to the midwest, I've learned about what we missed out on in my child-hood: everyone has FIREWORKS!  Our towns really sound like some kind of revolutionary war is going on.  How small was my bubble that I didn't know about this?!  In AZ no one is allowed to have fireworks due to the fire danger (even the professional ones set pretty bad fires).

The past few years with Mr. S we've gone to Lake Okoboji for the Fourth.  It's been such a fun experience and the kids have started recognizing it as a "tradition" for us (we need more traditions - it's hard with all the back and forth though with the boys).  This year because of our insane schedules, lack of money and because Crazy is stupid and wouldn't let us have the boys longer than just the Fourth (it's HER week), we ended up just staying home for the holiday.

The started Fourth very rainy for us (we got almost three inches), so most of the day was spent inside.  Mr. S got to break in his grill and decided to smoke a turkey.  What's more American than a Thanksgiving turkey (I bought it on special way back in Nov.) for Fourth of July?   Since it's been so hectic, we didn't have time to go and buy the fireworks for the kids (I suck this year), so we pulled out the leftover ones from last year (bad idea).  They had fun (kind of), but for future reference, don't keep leftovers (we live in the country - we can set them off anytime really).  A few of them were duds, a few fizzed out after starting, and one EXPLODED way too close for comfort (whoops). 

LMS "hamming" it up

Yum! (and yes LMS and I actually counted out 50 "stars")
About 8 pm, we headed into the small town where our kids go to school.  The town was doing a whole 5-day Fourth celebration.  They had a carnival that started Thursday, a movie in the park on Friday, a street dance on Saturday, fireworks last night and a parade and other activities today.  We drove to the school, found a place on the grass and waited for dusk while eating dessert and playing football.  I couldn't believe how many people came in to town to watch (although they are the only professional fireworks in the WHOLE county).  What amazed me also was that everyone brought all of the fireworks with them (even though they threatened fines in the newspaper), so while waiting for the show, we had "war" going on all around us.  The fireworks show was pretty good (not as good as watching them on the lake and waiting for the fireworks barge to explode though). 

LMS HATES the noise

At least the other kids were enjoying theirselves


This morning the boys left for their stupid mom's house early and we watched radar for a while trying to decide if we were going into town for the parade or not.  We decided to tempt fate and left for the parade at 9:30.  The town was PACKED already (it didn't start until 10:30).  We did find a good place on mainstreet across from the courthouse though and we waited for the parade to start.  We had to sit through some sprinkles, but otherwise the weather was nice - overcast and cool.  I was really impressed by the parade.  It's actually the first one I've ever taken the girls to.  I didn't bother to bring bags for candy, I figured there wouldn't be much since at my last parade about 15 years ago I only got about 3 pieces of candy.  I started seeing all the other kids pulling out tons of groccery sacks - they must know something I don't.  I suggested the girls just use the bag for the fold up chair - what the heck.  The parade took an HOUR and the girls came home with about 10 POUNDS of candy and other junk (otter pops, frisbee, toys, dog biscuits, etc).  EVERY emergency service provider in the county participated in the parade, all the county sports champs were in the parade, all of the people running for office, many businesses and charities, TONS of old vehicles and lets not forget TRACTORS and then the horses and the school band.  I was AMAZED at how many people participated.  I think my last parade was about 20 minutes - it had more floats, but it was nothing like this.  Even though Jr.Ms.S wanted to just stay home - I think she was glad she went and I'm glad that we were able to do this with them.

Jr.Ms.S with the chair bag waiting for more candy

See how full it is already?

They had a lot of fun trying to attract the people to throw stuff at them
Will we do this again next year? Eh - I'd love to go to the lake instead, but at least I know we have a viable option and it's great to see so many patriotic, American-loving people.

How did you celebrate the Fourth?

No comments:

Post a Comment